Hello my fellow readers,
You’re there! You’ve written this amazing book, it’s been edited, you’ve added your cover photo, you’ve set up your book with all the extra pieces it needs and now it’s time to actually put it out there!
It may seem daunting but I promise it’s pretty easy peasy. You can do it!
First got to https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/ and sign into your amazon account. Don’t have one? No worries all you need is a name and email to set one up!
When you click on the link above there is a brief video you can watch (I recommend doing so!). When the video is done scroll down and click on the words lit up in blue “Learn how it’s easy.”
From there all you have to do is follow the steps. Here are some items that would be good to know or have before you start.
- Account information- Where do you want your money to be deposited? *wiggles eyebrows*
- Tax information (just basic, name social and if a company EIN)
- Have your content ready to be uploaded (Cover photo and your manuscript)
- Have the summary of your book that is 4,000 characters or less ready to go.
- Keywords- you get 7 but you don’t have to use all 7. These words can’t repeat what is already in your book summary. You can always adjust these later or add if you’re not sure of 7 to begin with.
- Category- You only get 2 so choose well and these can always be changed later.
- Distribution- Are you good with everyone around the world having access to your book or do you want only select areas have access to your book?
- Also there is a section called Digital Rights Management (DMR), where you can protect your book so no one can share it’s information and no one can just take your book. Even if you select yes to protect your book you can still allow people to share your book for a 14 day span and it allows people to buy your book as a gift for someone else.
- Price listing and Royalties is the fun part. It’s pretty straight forward you can sell your book for less than 2.99 and get 35% royalties on each book you sell or you can sell it for 2.99 or more and get 35% or 70% royalties back per book. You get to decide.
- Finally decide if you would like your book to be part of KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) Select. This means an Amazon customer is part of the Kindle Unlimited program or their Lending Library. Each month that customer pays Amazon each month to read as many books as they like that are part of that program. If you choose to be part of the program you get for the amount of pages that customer finishes.
So for example if I am selling my book for $0.99 and a customer buys my book I’ll see only $0.35 back in royalties but if someone on kindle unlimited downloads my book for free and finishes it I will see $0.70 back. However, if they only finish half the book I will only see $0.35.
I know that seems like a lot of information but Amazon does an amazing job walking you through every step and giving guidance. This article gives you a jumping off point and an idea of what to expect in the process. Any additional questions you have will be in the above link. However if you get lost or not sure about something, leave a comment and I’ll try to help you out! For me to get through all the set up information took me no more than 20 minutes and that was with a crying baby in my arms.
It can take up to 3 days before you see your book on Amazon. You’re book will be going through a back end review process of checking to make sure your book meets all the requirements that Amazon has laid out.
Still with me? Okay great! Next week I’ll be showing you how to track the health of your book.